Without the contribution of the Jewish community, Moravian Ostrava would probably never have become such an important industrial, commercial and financial centre. During the tour we will visit places that were connected with the life of the Jewish community. You will learn the history of Jews in Moravian Ostrava, we will show you where a Jewish school, a Jewish hospital or the main synagogue used to stand. We will introduce important representatives of the Jewish community, such as Markus Strassmann. In the period between the wars, Ostrava was the Jewish centre of the republic. Before World War II, 10,000 Jews lived here, and it is certainly interesting that Oskar Schindler, a well-known saviour of the Jews, lived in Ostrava for six years.
• Prokeš Square (history of settling of Jews in the city)
• Oskar Schindler (German businessman from Svitavy, working for the German Abwehr intelligence service, later a saviour of about 1,100 Jews from the Krakow ghetto)
• personality of the Jewish builder Felix Neumann (a native of Ostrava, at the end of the 19th century he built a German house in the city)
• synagogues in Ostrava (six synagogues that were destroyed and burned during 1939)
• Jewish entrepreneurs (personality of a brewer, builder, innkeeper, merchant)
• Nisko nad Sanem (first transport of Jews in Europe, departure from Ostrava Central Station)
Duration up to 2 hours