The lookout tower is located on the Landek hill, which has been a National natural landmark since 1992. The five-metre wooden building in the style of the watchtower of the historic fortresses was built on the site of the former castle. The castle was most likely founded by Přemysl Otakar II. after the year 1253 as a protection of a not so well protected area on the borders with Duchy of Opole which allowed Tatar raids in the year 1241. It was necessary to fortify the borders after the expulsion of Tatars to avoid similar raids such as the raid of joined troops of Opole, Kraków and Galician dukes in 1253. So began the construction of solid castles on positions that were hard to reach especially on the borders. The Landek castle was also built at that time. However, the first mention of the castle is from the year 1297. Another mention from the year 1518 only refers to the castle as a rubble. To this day, only a piece of medieval wall has survived. You can see not only the city of Ostrava from the top of the lookout tower but the whole ridge of mountains up to the Těšín beskydy, if the weather is favourable. The lookout is part of a nature trail near the mining museum.
Pod Landekem 64